- 1 kilogram aubergines (eggplants)
- 300 grams red bell peppers
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 300 grams celery hearts
- 150 grams green olives, pitted and cut into halves
- 100 grams capers, desalted
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 60-70 grams sugar
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the aubergines into cubes of about 1.5 cm. Season with salt, and put in a colander for about one hour to remove the bitterness of the aubergines.
- Cut the celery into small pieces, and blanch in salted water.
- Fry the aubergines in hot oil, and then put them on a paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- Fry the onions in a pan. Then add the blanched celery, tomato paste, olives, and capers.
- Cook the mixture until the celery is well done.
- Add the aubergines, and allow the mixture to cook for a few more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the sugar and vinegar, and leave the pan on the burner for several more minutes.
- Add the basil, and place on a serving dish.
- Serve at room temperature. Buon Appetito!