Ingredients for Pastry Rolls:
- 15 grams finest flour
- 15 grams sugar
- 25 grams cooking oil
- 1 egg, beaten for glaze
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar (or red wine)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of powdered cinnamon
Ingredients for Filling:
- ½ kilogram fresh ricotta cheese
- 30 grams bitter chocolate, chopped
- 30 grams candied fruit
- 150 grams sugar, pulverized with mortar and pestle
- icing sugar for dusting
- cooking oil
Directions for Pastry Rolls:
- Rub the cooking oil, sugar, and cinnamon into the flour. Then mix with the vinegar, honey, and a little water.
- Work the dough until it achieves a fairly solid consistency, and leave for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough very thin, and cut into 5-inch squares.
- Roll obliquely around a greased can, pressing the overlapping corners together, and brush with the beaten egg to seal well.
- Deep fry in very hot oil until golden brown.
- Place on a paper towel to eliminate any excess grease, and remove the can.
Directions for Filling:
- Press the ricotta cheese through a fine mesh sieve several times, and then mix with the sugar. Work very thoroughly with a wooden spoon, and then add the fruit and chocolate.
- Fill the rolls, when cold, with the mixture and dust with icing sugar. For alternative fillings, use cream with grated bitter chocolate or confectioner’s custard.
- Serve immediately. Buon Appetito!