Ingredients for Sponge Cake:
- 8 eggs
- 240 grams finest flour
- 240 grams sugar, dissolved in a few tablespoons of warm water
- small amount of syrup (made by boiling sweet mandarin or cherry liqueur in a few tablespoons of water)
Ingredients for Filling and Decoration:
- 1 kilogram fresh ricotta cheese
- 350 grams sugar
- 100 grams plain chocolate, grated
- 500 grams assorted candied fruit
- pinch of powdered cinnamon
- pinch of vanilla rosolio (sweet herb liqueur)
Ingredients for Icing: 300 grams icing sugar
- Make a classic sponge cake with the eggs, flour, and sugar.
- Press the ricotta through a fine mesh sieve.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, and half of the candied fruit, working thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Line a round cake pan with greaseproof paper.
- Alternate layers of cake with the ricotta filling, moistening the cake with a small amount of syrup.
- Decorate with the remaining candied fruit and icing.
- Leave in the refrigerator until time to serve. Buon Appetito!